Monday, September 6, 2010

Singaporean kid and her label.

You know, my friend, I've always been envious of you that you're still close to your mates from BP.

I recently removed my secondary school when it comes to the education part of my Facebook page. It's just something I had to do. Sure, it's one of life's glorious moments: imagine, the inept, socially-awkward girl, getting into THAT secondary school. Doing better than that smart-ass 'best friend' I hung around with. "Bukit Panjang Government High School". I wore it proud. Not "normal-academic" which many assumed, but "Express", okay?! Such good PSLE marks. Such unexpected grades for a girl that had to stay back in school for remedial lessons.

But for what fuck. I didn't do well in Secondary School. I was failing most subjects. I wasn't interested in classes. Perhaps it was at that point of time I realized I'm not that good after all.

But I still used it after leaving, still wave it around like a pride flag, like "once in my life, I was among the great". Jumping into the opportunity to tell people I was from there. Never mind that I was possibly one of the worst students from that school.

My father recently went to the alumni dinner. Yeah, we were from the same school. And I wasn't even invited by anyone to go. It's pointless for me. I don't even know how to talk to my best friend from that school anymore.

So it's time to retire this flag, and wave another. Bukit Panjang, thanks for giving me the chance to use you, but I don't deserve you at all.

2 comments:

  1. Time to move on. It was probably just some sort of a holding place for you before going somewhere more suited for you. But Ngee Ann was more memorable for you, yeah?

    ReplyDelete